We all need it, but do we really get enough good quality sleep?
A good quality healthy sleep, not only gives you a good frame of mind and energy when you go into a new day, there is an overwhelming amount of research that proves it also enhances:
• Your ability to focus
• Your memory’s effectiveness
• Your recovery and energy
• Your digestive cycle
• Emotional health and wellbeing
Ensuring quality sleep is a consistent part of your routine and will simply lead to a better quality of life. On the flip side, poor sleep patterns or sustained periods of inconsistent or inadequate sleep are associated with increased injuries, hypertension, obesity and even depression.
It is estimated that 1 in 3 adults don’t get enough sleep!
As an adult it is important to get approximately 8 hours sleep, so here are Essential Magnesium’s top tips for quality sleep zzzzzz
7 Tips To Help You Sleep
- Eliminate stress – stress whether it is work or home, physical or emotional depletes our magnesium levels by increasing our cortisol and magnesium does it’s best to reduce this and to calm the body. Reducing stress means higher magnesium levels.
- Eat a well rounded diet – reduce the amount to refined foods, sugars, sugary drinks and alcohol you consume, these all reduce our magnesium levels which are required for rest and relaxation.
- Create a sleep routine – Try to go to bed at the same time each night and awake at a similar time each morning. Your goal should be to get 8 hours of quality sleep each night. If you work at night, your timing will be different, but nevertheless, still try to create a consistent ‘daytime’ sleep routine that works best.
- Create a bedtime ritual – All of these things are your mental and emotional triggers for a good night sleep, similar to when you read a child a bedtime story…
An hour before bed, read a book, or jot down a few things you achieved in your day. Whatever it is, make sure it’s an activity that calms you to help you relax and unwind.
- Enjoy a soak – Ideally soak in a nice warm bath with 1 cup of Essential Magnesium’s Magnesium Chloride Bath Flakes for 20 minutes before bed and put on your PJ’s.
- Create a sleep-supportive bedroom – This means removing possible distractions like your phone or electronic devices and ensure these devices are on silent, or better still, placed in another room when you retire for the night. I’ve recently introduced this step into my night time routine, having no phone or IPad in the room certainly does make a difference to quality sleep! Also open windows, turn off air conditioning and allow fresh air to circulate or use a fan if you have no windows.
- Apply Essential Magnesium Night Cream or Spray – 10-15 minutes prior to bed apply to your feet, calves and lower back or back of your neck – with Magnesium, Lavender and Sweet Marjoram you can’t go wrong, you will find that it is easier to head off to sleep as it will calm your nervous system and will assist to ‘turn off your mind’ to allow you to settle and fall asleep, stay asleep for longer and experience a deeper sleep, it will also reduce restlessness and cramping at night.